Photo of Shelby County Public Library in 1903.
Around the campfire at the library's annual Family Pajama Party.
In 1901, a request was sent to Andrew Carnegie for funds to build a permanent library in Shelbyville, Indiana. A total of $20,000 was granted, a lot on Broadway Street opposite the High School was purchased, and the library was completed in 1903 (read more history). Today, the Shelby County Public Library remains a community resource dedicated to life-long learning and committed to the freedom of information.
In 2011, the library served 22,554 card holders. The following resources are currently available for checkout or in-library use from the Shelbyville and Morristown branch: 135,735 volumes of fiction and nonfiction, 9,929 audio/visual materials, 132 serial subscriptions, 725 electronic format materials, 65 licensed databases and 6 laptops.
In May 2012, the library joined nearly 100 libraries by transitioning to the statewide Evergreen IN catalog system. This allows patrons to check out, reserve, and return items at any Indiana Evergreen library. Learn more about Evergreen. In August 2012, a subscription to electronic books that can be downloaded to computers or e-reader devices was also purchased for patron access.
Stop in to apply for a library card at the following locations: Shelbyville, Morristown, or Mobile Library. Take advantage of our computer services, public meeting rooms, scanning/copying/faxing services, programming, and catalog of materials.